The leadership structure of this pharmaceutical organisation was traditionally hierarchical, as was their matrixed operating mode, with their business areas separated by lines of sales and contribution. Their internal consultation process to make decisions was at the detriment of fast incisive actions that would benefit the business & the customer.
The catalyst of a new country Managing Director seeking to identify opportunities for truly innovative ways to address a fast-changing market began a conversation about the readiness of the organisation to realise this ambition.
- EPiC applied an inclusive approach to designing the change process that would unlock the value in the missions
- The business areas of the organisation were offered a bespoke approach, whilst developing reusable components for change that formed a pattern library for other business areas to use
- In each business area, self-paced engagement space was made for opportunities that sought to uplift capability at each step with practises as a principle of the change
- Leaders were coached to empower their teams and shift their focus from managing work to leading intent
- Each iteration of the change identified the next biggest friction points in the organisational systems to get the most improvement
- Measures and a consolidated dashboard that tracked the change process outcome to ensure a high level of transparency and engagement were present throughout.
Still Ongoing. So far:
- Introduction of OKRs at the organisation level in just 2 weeks
- Creating a portfolio prioritisation business value model (BVM) and transparent methodology for the overall portfolio of initiatives that enabled real-time trade-offs and capacity decisions
- Undertaking organisation-wide listening and engagement workshops to bring the entire cohort on the change journey.
- Reimagining objective setting in business areas that connected with OKRs at the organisational level
- Redesigning and relaunching team structures within business units including the operating rhythms and team capabilities
- Introducing collaboration tools
- Establishing a ‘Centre of Excellence’ for continuous ways of working improvement and quickly upskilling the members to enable facilitation and implementation of new practises.
- Introducing and implementing measurements for both flow of work, outcomes of the change and engagement in teams.
- Introducing a cultural shift in participation and empowerment for teams, including the launch of a quarterly delivery cycle, a part of which is a ‘‘whole of organisation’ big room planning
- Implemented Empowerment Ratios to build trust over time